Thursday, September 4, 2008

Arthus Miller Essay

While i was reading Arthur Miller's Essay "Get it Right. Privatize Executions" I had to giggle to myself in my head. Although I completely agree with the message Miller was writing about, the satirical way he presented it gave me a laugh. Capital Punishment and executions are a very controversial topic in today's society. Some people completely disagree with the death penalty. i do not believe Miller is one of those people that disagrees with the death penalty, however I believe he wants the executions to be more private.
In the essay Miller is poking fun at the lack of privacy during executions. Stating that they are so open right now that they might as well be displayed in a stadium and charge a large admission fee so at least they are making money out of it.
Personally I agree that there should a death penalty. Murderers need to penalized for the crimes they have committed and the only punishment close to justice is the death penalty. I do also agree with Miller, the executions should be made more private. Friends and families of the convict do not want the execution of the friend or family member to be put on display for the world to see.
All in all, the satirical way Miller wrote this essay really made his point. It was much more enjoyable to read then if he was just stating his belief

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I agree with Capital Punishment too, and I also think Miller wrote this in a unique way. The open-formed writing style he used really kept my attention and lead me to read on. It made the piece very enjoyable to read. I think this was the best way to write what he was trying to say and get the word out rather than a closed form, boring essay.