Wednesday, September 24, 2008

On the uses of a Liberal Education

I found this essay very thought provoking. Along with thought provoking there was also a little humor in the essay. The essay was written in a formal format but it was written with a semi-informal style because the audience is college students. The essay is written in a conversational type first person. Although it was a really long essay it was pretty easy to read and understand. I thought his examples of how there was no enthusiasm in his class and the poor participation was dead on. I know that this is not true in every class, but in some classes people are afraid to speak up or answer a controversial issue because someone might criticize them or disagree with them. I also like how he quotes himself in the paper, it makes it more real and easier to relate too. I definitely enjoyed reading this except for the face that it was so long. Before writing my paper I will definitely have to read it a couple more times to make sure i did not miss anything.

3 comments:

Christina M. said...

I stayed after class on Thursday because I thought the article was really difficult to understand all his points. She told me that the audience is actually other professors. I believe that his main purpose is to make known that it is up to the professors to help change the conformity in students and encourage interests and strong beliefs.

Jay-Jay said...

I agree with most of what you said but i think there is more behind quietness in classes then fear of criticism and disagreement.

Jay-Jay said...

I agree with most of what you said but i think there is more behind quietness in classes then fear of criticism and disagreement.