Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Descriptions of the same scene

My Dorm Room
Favorable View: When you open the door to my dorm room you are greeted with a great array of colors; colors on the floor, walls, and beds. There is a sweet aroma of a mixture of Ralph Lauren HOT and a variety of Victoria Secret perfume. Looking around there are clothes thrown all over the place but none on the floor. Moving further into the room you see a TV set sitting in clear view of every seat in the room. Behind the TV is a huge mirror perfecting for ready in the mornings in. Right in front of the mirror is a big make-up box, filled with enough make-up for about 15 girls. In the middle of the room there is a large metal shelf. The shelf is a very handy, it hold books, snack, and a fish named Marley. Getting a little more nosey if you open the closets, you will find two very jammed packed closets, overflowing with shoes and clothes. You can definitely tell this is a girl’s dorm room.

Unfavorable View: When you first open the door to my dorm you are greeted by a rush of hot air. The lack of central air conditioning really makes the room burning hot. You will also quickly feel the hard tile floor underneath your feet. You will also notice the size of the room, smaller than any room two people should live in together. There is barely room to move around much. When you finally walk onto the carpet you might get a little grossed out about how dirty the rug is. With no vacuum it is really hard to rug, so it is normally covered in hair, leaves, grass, and other unknown things. You better watch out for the cable cord running along the floor. You follow the cord to find a TV the size of about your computer screen that looks like it is from the early 1990’s. Hopefully you have no allergies when you come into this room the smell of perfume is so strong I even sneeze. You can definitely tell this is a college freshman’s dorm room.

Self-Reflection: Doing this assignment made me look at thing in a different way. Also it made me think of ways to describe everyday things so that a reader can easily get a picture in their mind. Writing those descriptions made me concentrate on the angle of vision I was trying to portray with each paragraph. Because my scene was something I would describe in a favorable view I had to look at it like I was a different person who did not like my room. It was much easier to do the favorable description.

No comments: